Hola!

This is my blog, my super-fantastic blog, to be exact.
I hope you like reading it, and hearing about my various enthralling escapades.
I'm sure you will just be capitaivated by my highly interesting entries, deep, profound thoughts and opinionated views.
No, don't exit!
I'm not [completely] selfish and vain, I just happen to have a very lame, sarcastic sense of humour.
So. Right.
Have fun.

But not too much fun.

[That doesn't make sense, does it?]

Monday, July 7, 2008

griEVE

griEVE is a novel written by Lizzie Willcock.
The story focuses on Eve, a young girl whose mother has just disappeared from her life.
I desperately want to describe what the story is about, but no words do it justice. The blurb on the back of the very book sounds cliche to me, and after reading the book, it doesn't seem right at all.

Changed. Changes. Changing. I have the feeling that my life is about to spin into a different orbit again.
When Eve's mother disappears from her life, suddenly nothing seems certain. What has happened to her mother? Why won't her father and aunt talk about it? As Eve searches for the truth, she finds things she never expected: pain, long-buried secrets...and love.

A powerful and moving story about coping with loss and finding a way through darkness.

There's nothing wrong with it, but personally, I don't feel it accurately reflects the story depicted between the covers. I also feel that the story isn't about her coping, but about her not coping.
It's not a nice story, that's for certain.

This is the kind of book that I would like to write. A one off. Not part of a series- just... a story. An exert from someone's life. Not written with a beginning, a middle, and an end, but as if a narrator has temporarily entered somebody's life. The ending isn't a 'happy ever after', but it does resolve some issues of her life. It doesn't leave you hanging, as such, but closer to wondering what happens in the next part of her life, or where she is now.
This story does everything I consider a good story should do; it conveys emotion and it makes you think.
This story made me feel sick to my stomach, angry, and, for lack of a better term, sad.

It proves the talent of the author when three words,
Summer waved back, can hold so much emotion and make the reader, i.e. me, stare at the words and read them again and again.
Eve does not have fate on her side. Her life goes from bad to worse and every person, bar one, doesn't understand her. She's treated horribly, and then she begins to treat herself that way too.

The only criticism I have is of the ending. It was a little wishy-washy, like, even now, I am not sure what exactly happened. The information that was need was still transposed, but I read it again, to try and make some more sense of it. A chapter of the book that makes you go,
What...?, especially at the end, usually isn't the best. Though, my lack of understanding could easily be the fault of my ignorance, not the author's writing.

Earlier, I mentioned that this story makes you think. What of? That is a good question. Firstly, it made me realise that I am pretty darn lucky. It also made me go up and hug my mum. Ever heard the saying,
You don't realise what you have until it's gone? This story gave me a insight into what it would be like losing a mother, and made me truly value my own. It helped me realise that losing control, not coping, deluding yourself- all of those things can be easier than confronting the truth. It gave me an insight into a traumatised and deeply scared young person's mind, and gave me a little understanding of what they were feeling, and why the do what they do.
We learn from our mistakes, so when you get a lesson from other's mistakes; it's priceless.

Any book that makes you feel, alters your perception in the slightest way, or adds to your archive of knowledge is well worth the time it takes to read it.
I really like this book, and am grateful to whatever made me pick it off the shelf.


No comments: