Hola!

This is my blog, my super-fantastic blog, to be exact.
I hope you like reading it, and hearing about my various enthralling escapades.
I'm sure you will just be capitaivated by my highly interesting entries, deep, profound thoughts and opinionated views.
No, don't exit!
I'm not [completely] selfish and vain, I just happen to have a very lame, sarcastic sense of humour.
So. Right.
Have fun.

But not too much fun.

[That doesn't make sense, does it?]

Friday, July 18, 2008

Science

Science
SCIENCE is an angel
that dwells in the hearts
and minds of men
who peer through optic instruments
at the whirling cosmos
or at our kaleidoscopic DNA
that shows us what we are
and what we'll be.
MEDICINE she brings us,
drugs and scans and surgery,
as well as computers
more powerful than Charles Babbidge
did dare dream.
We have weapons, spaceships,
crops that feed us all.
And the last of Her gifts
makes her disappear:
the truth that angels exist nowhere
but in the wondrous minds of men.

This is a poem that was featured in the fictional novel The truth about these strange times, written by English author, Adam Foulds. I adore this poem.

This character's admiration and love is folded and placed so neatly within these words; the fleeting rhyme scheme; the disjointed sentences that seem to flow. I always appreciate a piece of writing that connects the end and beginning, and there's something so tasteful about an ending that leads you right back to the start. I (metaphorically) take my hat off to Foulds. As a (kind-of) poem-writing-person myself, and someone rather interested in the art of writing, I treasure a piece of poetry that isn't trying to clever for cleverness's sake, and intentionally confusing. Okay, poems that just don't make sense have there own time and place, but as they are so painfully common in the world of adult poetry, one that only partially deludes you is a marvel.
I particularly like the lines, our kaleidoscopic DNA that shows us what we are
and what we'll be.
It manages to be literal, truthful, and descriptive.
If I could write poetry such as this, I would be quite content.

I have really been getting into science lately. I've been reading books such as The Origin of the Universe. I have also been reading a lot of New Scientist magazines, and watching a number of documentaries and reports on television. Okay, so in some people's opinions that won't constitute ''getting into Science'', but it isn't, like, defined, or anything.
I love the fact that science can explain nearly everything- that science is the universe. Things that we would struggle to do without now, electricity, cars, T.V. and computers, even your favourite energy drinks and junk food, are all the products of scientists.
It's also a relief to me that a lot of the questions I am asking have been answered, and that, in fact, all the answers lie in this study (in a logical context).
Though, I think it's important not to let yourself become completely immersed in logic. There are many questions that can never be answered, and it is a sort of genius in itself, being able to understand and accept that.
As Einstein said, "Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love."

No comments: