Hola!

This is my blog, my super-fantastic blog, to be exact.
I hope you like reading it, and hearing about my various enthralling escapades.
I'm sure you will just be capitaivated by my highly interesting entries, deep, profound thoughts and opinionated views.
No, don't exit!
I'm not [completely] selfish and vain, I just happen to have a very lame, sarcastic sense of humour.
So. Right.
Have fun.

But not too much fun.

[That doesn't make sense, does it?]

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Pretzels
















Pretzels. Unfortunately, I'm not eating one at this moment, but I like 'em. I think the variety I'm used to is not actually the classic pretzel, or Brezel, which the name, and western version, of the pastry is derived from.
The kind that I snack on are small, smooth, glossy, and sprinkled with salt. I learnt in my research that these are known as 'hard pretzels', and are more common because they can be mass produced and stored, unlike its sister pastry, the classic soft pretzel. I read that they are quite a good alternative snack, but they should be spiced with things other than salt.
Anyway, today I am going to endeavour to tell you about the origins of this food, which you are probably thinking about right now.


I implied just before that Brezel is the original version of the pretzel, which would mean that they are German in origin. This is the official history of this much-loved food, because this is documented, unlike the 'legend' of the young Italian monk. This story is what I read on the pretzel packet, and what inspired me to write this entry, and so I am going to retell it to you (yes, you).

It was 610, Anno Domini. A monk was making the traditional bread for the religious celebration Lent. He had some left over dough and, so, inspired by the image of arms crossing a chest, he made shapes out of the dough to resemble this. He name his creation pretiola, Latin for 'little reward'. He gave these to children for completing his prayers.

Next time you're at a game, sitting on the couch, or, heck, in the elevator, why don't you broach this subject?

The German history, the cited one, is lengthy and complex, so feel free to Google it if you're curious. I much prefer the legend, not that I'm an expert on German pastry origins' I didn't really read it.

It was in 1978 that the first soft pretzel was machine produced. They produced 7 pretzels per second. This sounds hard to believe, I know, but in 1960, 18 years earlier, total pretzel sales had already reached $92 million.

I really don't know what else to write.
Oh, and no, I haven't been paid by pretzel companies to advertise their product. Good thinking, though.

No comments: