Hola!

This is my blog, my super-fantastic blog, to be exact.
I hope you like reading it, and hearing about my various enthralling escapades.
I'm sure you will just be capitaivated by my highly interesting entries, deep, profound thoughts and opinionated views.
No, don't exit!
I'm not [completely] selfish and vain, I just happen to have a very lame, sarcastic sense of humour.
So. Right.
Have fun.

But not too much fun.

[That doesn't make sense, does it?]

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Fiji-now















I must say the trip didn't start with a bang. Our flight was delayed three hours and so we were boarding the plane when we would have been arriving in Fiji. On the plane we weren't just offered a choice of 'chicken or fish', but vegetarian as well. It was an outstanding moment in pane-food history. I watched the Bucket List on the trip over, which was quite good, and had a very satisfying ending; I just love it when the last line is perfect.

We did end up arriving, finally, in Nadi airport, to greet my distressed father who had just seen our flight information change from Delayed to Indefinitely Delayed, and was waiting for Missing to crop up next.

Outside, the light was fading and the softest rain was falling. I breathed in the smells and the warm air and tried to store a bit of the surroundings in my mind. The airport car park had always been a site full of anticipation, seeing as we were always there right at the beginning of our trips. We drove to the hotel, the troubles of our delay now a story to laugh about. We were finally here.

The next day started with breakfast by the pool, but soon after we were off, on our two hour drive up to the farm. I really enjoyed the drive up, soaking up all the achingly familiar sites. The drive flew by, and soon we caught our first glimpse of the castle. Over the bay, still about twenty minutes drive away, we saw Cagi-Cagi Hill. Pronounced thang-ee-thang-ee, it means windy.
Windy Hill. And atop this hill, on a flattened summit was an unmoving block of grey. A fortress, a triumph against all odds. And as soon as we had glimpsed it, it was gone. The bays were beautiful and the shouts from the villages cheerful, but all faded slightly in anticipation to our first meeting with Mahevu Fortress.
We soon pulled into Namaquamaqua Road
and knew it was less than four kilometres away. Those four thousands metres were a very rocky and pot-holed lot, because the roads have been in a steep decline ever since the coup of 2006.
Over one hill, another glimpse. And introduction so tantalisingly gradual. Another rise, then down again. Then, up just on more short incline, around a small rock wall and high bushes of flax and it was there. BulaMoce Farm. Just sittin' up there and demanding awe. My breathing was slow and shallow as we trundled up the drive, slowing to a stop metres before the roller door. I hopped out quickly and just stared at it in marvel. The only sound was the incessant breeze pushing it's way through the acres and acres of virgin bush surrounding us, and the Fijian flag flapping in the wind. I touched the cement, its surface warm and smooth. I walked around the castle, trailing my hand along the walls. The view was as startlingly stunning as it had always been. The piggery from the old days of Maximus and Hudini (two of our pigs) was still there, the same as ever.
Now that I was here, all the time from two years away was catching up with me. Last time I was here I had been twelve. There's a big difference between twelve and fourteen. My dad's partner's family had a new, 11 month- old member named Diana. Joanne (named after my mother) would nearly be 6. Timo (the eldest son) would be a true young boy now, going to school and everything.
I finally realised how much I had missed Fiji
, and how much I love the country. I love it all, and love all the places I have been, the experiences I have had, and all the times that are now stories and memories. Fiji exposed me to a different way of life very young, and I am so, so glad for that. This aspect of my life has really helped shape me into who I am, and I am so thankful for my parents for making it possible. Going to Fiji has made me realise how lucky we are, and oh-so frivolous and shallow sometimes.
We don't just go to a resort and swim, and have a holiday, we live pretty much the normal Fijian lifestyle, and having that has kept me from becoming the sheltered young girl I could have been. We've been through a lot, and it hasn't all been good, but everything's been worth it. All seemingly leading up to when I lifted my gaze to the sky and span around in the courtyard, arms outstretched, wanting to encompass it all, but happy for what was now. Leading up to lying on my parents' bed at the end of the one long room we lived in, seeing Jack and Jedd and dad on the couch, and mum drinking coffee at the table. The castle was now a home.

Originally this was meant to be a recount of sorts, just outlining what I did over there for the six days. But, as I seem to be doing a lot lately, I got carried away and never ended up leaving the castle. If you keep reading you might be lucky enough to actually find out what happened!

No comments: