Hola!

This is my blog, my super-fantastic blog, to be exact.
I hope you like reading it, and hearing about my various enthralling escapades.
I'm sure you will just be capitaivated by my highly interesting entries, deep, profound thoughts and opinionated views.
No, don't exit!
I'm not [completely] selfish and vain, I just happen to have a very lame, sarcastic sense of humour.
So. Right.
Have fun.

But not too much fun.

[That doesn't make sense, does it?]

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Riddle of the 5mm Drill-bit

I was sorting through my bookshelf earlier this evening, when a piece of paper fluttered to the floor. I picked it up and opened it curiously. Inside was a page from my Term 1 Business Studies book. Written on it was the answer to the riddle of the 5mm drill-bit.
I was struck by a sudden inspiration to write a blog entry about it, so here goes.

I don't currently aspire to go into business as an adult, yet I am taking two terms of Business Studies this year, and I am really enjoying it.
I'm not totally sure why I chose to take Business Studies. Yes, it sounded interesting, and was more appealing and practical than art or music. But now I am so glad that I am taking it. I am learning so much, and as a customer, I am an important part of the business world, so being educated on fundamental business information and tactics is beneficial, and will continue to be. This subject also sets me up to take Accounting or Economics next year, if I feel the need.

The riddle:
A man walks into a hardware store and asks for a 5mm drill-bit [the bit that goes at the end of a drill]. The shop assistant replies, 'I could sell you a 5mm drill-bit, but you don't want a 5mm drill-bit.'

Why would he say such a thing, isn't it his job to sell hardware products?
When I first heard this I was confused. Cassandra, who was sitting opposite me, was like, Hold up. Say what?
But not really, because she doesn't talk like that. Anyway.
As the teacher talked us through the explanation, understanding dawned upon me, like a veil slowly being pulled from my eyes.

The man didn't want a 5mm drill-bit, he wanted a 5mm hole.
Why did he want a 5mm hole? To fill with a 5mm screw.
Why did he want a 5mm hole filled with a screw?
Because he wanted to build something.

Businesses aim to meet the needs and wants of their customers. Every business owner needs to be enterprising, and look beyond the commodity they are going to sell, to the need or want that they are going to meet.
Yes, the main goal of nearly every business is to earn money, but to earn money you have to satisfy the needs and/or wants of consumers. Customers provide the fuel that keeps a business going, so
to be successful in business you need to provide something that is in demand by them. It is the customer you are always aiming to please, and to survive in the world of business, you have to please them.

No comments: