Hola!

This is my blog, my super-fantastic blog, to be exact.
I hope you like reading it, and hearing about my various enthralling escapades.
I'm sure you will just be capitaivated by my highly interesting entries, deep, profound thoughts and opinionated views.
No, don't exit!
I'm not [completely] selfish and vain, I just happen to have a very lame, sarcastic sense of humour.
So. Right.
Have fun.

But not too much fun.

[That doesn't make sense, does it?]

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Festival!

Yesterday I went to a festival with my grandparents, my little brother and my mum. It is an annual affair, and is held in a small town half-an-hour's drive away. Our trip up there took about 50 minutes though, because there were roadworks happening; we were mostly stationary for those extra 20 minutes. I was kind of glad of the fact because my grandad is a race car driver, and he doesn't reserve it just for the track. So, in the back seat of my grandma's yellow sports car, leaning to the side because the roofs are too low for me to sit up straight, I was rather grateful that my grandad didn't have the opportunity to swerve and beep and speed (even though he did manage to pass, like, 50 cars when we went up the passing lane and everyone else stayed in the jam).

We arrived at half of twelve, and the festival was in full swing. Unfortunately, we had missed the duck race, reported to be one of the major highlights of the day. We scrambled as gracefully as possible out of the car and walked into the festive festivity. We even had their little, white and fluffy Westie in tow, Sparky. Grandad scored a park really close, and soon we were walking among the crowd, looking at the stalls.

After about three minutes Jack, my little brother, had got candy floss, and already had his eyes set on an $8 beaded spider...thing. There was lots of fudge for sale but I don't like to buy it because most of the time it doesn't taste as good as mine (as cocky as that sounds). We separated from the grand'rents soon after that and, well, this is what happened.

The next fours hours were filled of fun; buying stuff, food, laughter, and more food. We started our feast with some apple slice, and than I stole some of Jack's hot chips. That was followed by lemon and sugar crepes, which left us completely sticky. To my delight, there were toffee apples! They were proper ones, too. As you may have guessed, I became more sticky after that, even though I was content.

We got some really cool, and really cheap, bracelets. My mummy bought me two; one made of orange and white wooden triangles, the other blue and white beaded. After that I intelligently suggested that we use the water from my bottle to clean our hands, and then all was well.
We went to the rides then, which were really just four different bouncy castles. Jack went on the Fantasy Land one, and mum and I went into one of those groovy arty stores with beautiful, but painfully expensive, gifts and housewares. Have you ever noticed they all smell the same? I got this wreath of white roses for $4, when it was originally priced at $32. A steal!

We wandered around as everyone packed up. Jack got his spider (made in South Africa, you know), I got lolly cake and meringues for half price. We joined my grandparents and their friends on the water front and then we went to the playground. Oh, and we got free wood-fired pizza!

What a day. It definitely had the whole festival atmosphere, and my family definitely took full advantage of the fact. It had such a great time! There were several different acts of live music spread all around the town and even an American hotdog guy who kept trying to make people buy them. I even learnt about guide dogs for the deaf. I saw load of people I knew, too.

I couldn't face a festival every day, all that food left us feeling quite round and quite sick. We finished the day with haphazard omelettes and salad, and then a spa.
Indeed, a great day!

No comments: