Hola!

This is my blog, my super-fantastic blog, to be exact.
I hope you like reading it, and hearing about my various enthralling escapades.
I'm sure you will just be capitaivated by my highly interesting entries, deep, profound thoughts and opinionated views.
No, don't exit!
I'm not [completely] selfish and vain, I just happen to have a very lame, sarcastic sense of humour.
So. Right.
Have fun.

But not too much fun.

[That doesn't make sense, does it?]

Thursday, October 16, 2008

I want to ride my bicycle

It was a regular day. I mean, it was my last ever Wednesday of being a fourteen year-old, but besides that, nothing special.
Well, not until about five o'clock.
That day was so normal up till then, actually, that I can't even remember much of the details. Just another school day destined to sink into oblivion.

Oh, now I've counted back, I've remembered it being a day 1. P.E. first; running around the school; a full lesson dedicated to a warm up. Maths next, sitting next to Gabrielle and Aleisha up the front, doing geometric drawing, which is actually quite fun. What was next...? French; learning something about the metro. Drama last. Doing improvisation work. I think I went to the school library after that but I can't be sure.

Don't you find that funny? How even yesterday or the day before that can be so hazy? So unimportant? It's also a little depressing, when you give it some thought; a good part of your life is destined to be forgotten. Never seen again; lost forever. The stuff you do remember will be distorted; changed to be either really good or really bad. Their might be a few mediocre memories in there, but for the most part, it's those ones that stand out. Maybe, inside our brain it's a bit like survival of the fittest: only the most interesting memories last the trial of the time.

So, I get home from school, right? (Amazing, I know.) I heard my dad working under the house, so after dumping my things in my room, I went down to see him. I asked the usual questions: 'how are you?', 'how was your day?'. He was fixing up my little brother's training wheels, and with the prospect of my new bike on the horizon, I said, 'it's going to be so cool when I get my new bike, me and Jack will be able to go riding together'.
I went to walk away when my dad said, 'have you see my new Norton?'. As you can understand, I was confused. What was he on?

As I stood there, I began to get angry and fire questions at him. Another one? You bought another one? Mum doesn't know? What?! You get the picture.
I walked hesitantly towards the workshop door. I pulled it open, and their I saw my brand new bike.
He thought that I had seen it when I had walked down. This wasn't the case, however.

My reaction was less than over-joyed. I don't know why, but I wasn't happy. Well, I do kind of know, as a result of my own psycho-analysing. Firstly; he had spoiled it, hadn't he?
I later found out that they had purchased it on Monday (329 smackaroos), so this in fact was a new record for my father. He is a very generous man, but also quite impatient when it comes to these things.

I had a different idea in my head at the time about how we were going to buy my bike. I thought we were going to go shopping together. So, when things don't follow the plan in your head, or what you were imagining, they can often be disappointing.
When I had first laid eyes on this bike, a few weeks ago now, at the Warehouse, I remember being drawn to it (it's not like they had a massive range or anything) but after looking at it, thinking that it was a bit plastic-y. It was all one colour, a Pacific blue, and the mud-guard things on the tires looked like they would bend and move around. It sounds so stupid now.
It wasn't like there was another bike I has wanted. And that one was, like, everything I needed. It was perfect for me, really.

So, I moped in my room for a while. After the negative frame of mind had passed, I became, as my mum said, 'the positive Eve I know'. I decided to lift the mood (I had obviously offended me dad) and asked if I could have a test drive. Boy, am I glad I did.
I don't know adequate words to make you really see or understand.

It was bliss. It was amazing. The first ride down the road was the beginning of a beautiful friendship. I can't recall how long I was out there, time seemed irrelevant at the time, but it was quite a while, I'm told.
It just rode around two close streets, but that didn't make a iota of difference.

The wind against your face; it gives you such a wonderful sense of freedom.
You're in control; you can go wherever you like. No responsibility; you don't have to think. You can just ride.
As I rode down the hill, standing up, I felt like if I jumped into the air, I would fly.

And as I looked out at the view, across the sea, at the sky, as the curving peninsula; sweaty, heart beating, leaning against my bike, I thought, this is the point.

No comments: