Hola!

This is my blog, my super-fantastic blog, to be exact.
I hope you like reading it, and hearing about my various enthralling escapades.
I'm sure you will just be capitaivated by my highly interesting entries, deep, profound thoughts and opinionated views.
No, don't exit!
I'm not [completely] selfish and vain, I just happen to have a very lame, sarcastic sense of humour.
So. Right.
Have fun.

But not too much fun.

[That doesn't make sense, does it?]

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Vegetarian Banquet

Yesterday was not only the one year anniversary of the Fall Out Boy concert, and my auntie's nth birthday, it was also World Vegetarian Day.
To celebrate this occasion, a banquet was held as the local yacht club. It was called 'Candlelight and Roses', and, funnily enough, we dined by candlelight, surrounded by roses.
The ladies who had run my vegetarian cooking class had organised it; that is how we heard about it.

To get more hours for my Duke of E. award, I offered to help cook some of the food. I made the salads. It was actually quite a compliment, being trusted with this whole section of the food.
(And now I have completed my skill for the award!)
Yesterday afternoon was dedicated to marinating tofu, slicing cucumber, chopping tomatoes and everything in between. I made three huge bowls of salads; Greek, tomato, and potato. It was a bit stressful; I underestimated how long it would take, but I got it done, even though I left a wake of destruction, and potato skins, behind me. I must admit, they did taste pretty good.

I was taken up there at 5 o'clock, and for the next hour helped tie down awnings, move tables and put out precariously balancing pink fan napkins. It seemed to be a bit crazy, and I must admit I was worried that that night was going to be a total flop. It all turned out fine, however, but the night wasn't flawless...

Brennyn came, which made it a lot more fun. She survived the drive up with my aunt, mum, and little brother (thank goodness he didn't bite her). After a little awkward beginning (when the gave us name-tages o f all things) we sat down and looked at the menus. For the drinks, main course, and dessert we had four choices to choose from.
Brennyn and I got grape cocktail (non-alcoholic), the walnut rissoles with roast veggies, and fresh fruit salad with So Good ice cream for dessert. My aunt got pineapple champagne, Thai noodles, tofu cheesecake and carob-cream pie. My mum got the carrot/apple/celery (interesting), the mixed dhal (delicious), and the steamed fruit pudding.
I pretty good hoard for 20 bucks per ticket.

Throughout the evening my friend, Jack, and I went out to the playground and small walks outside. We, luckily, missed a fair bit of Hugh's (the Master of Ceremonies) lame jokes and statistics.
If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?
I learnt that I am, in fact, not a vegetarian, but a lacto-ovo-pescetarian.
I know Brennyn was feeling a little uncomfortable because he was basically saying 'meat is the root of all evil'.
Despite those those things, the haphazard spot-prize technique, the fact it started an hour later than intended and there was half and hour designated to garlic bread, it was a good night.

Food, friends, family- a fool-proof combination.

No comments: