Hola!

This is my blog, my super-fantastic blog, to be exact.
I hope you like reading it, and hearing about my various enthralling escapades.
I'm sure you will just be capitaivated by my highly interesting entries, deep, profound thoughts and opinionated views.
No, don't exit!
I'm not [completely] selfish and vain, I just happen to have a very lame, sarcastic sense of humour.
So. Right.
Have fun.

But not too much fun.

[That doesn't make sense, does it?]

Friday, October 10, 2008

Why don't you get something done?

Something has happened to me. I never used to be the kind of person who always talked about stuff but never did it. I never used to be described as 'all talk and no do'. Okay, so perhaps that is a little exaggerated; it's not my defining nature, but lately I seem to be saying all these things and never doing them. I make all sorts of promises to myself and to others, and neglect to fulfill them. My conclusion is that I am over-ambitious. I am asking too much of myself, and therefore I end up getting them minimum amount done. Though that sounds so padded, so self indulgent. Maybe I am just lazy, and don't have the will-power or motivation to get things done.

It would be nice if I got all that stuff done; it would be fantastic. I think the key is small goals and consistency. My running coach, John, said the other day when were talking about training,' I'm a big fan of actually getting stuff done'. So, instead of suddenly deciding to do 100 press-ups and sit-ups everyday (setting yourself up for failure), you should start of with 15 a day and gradually work your way up to your long-term goal. This makes sense, but it is a lot harder than it sounds.

I always make these amazing plans. I'll do this everyday- the results will be amazing!
Yes, the results would be fantastic, if I actually did it. I usually stick with it for a few days then forget about it, then end up writing a new list, or making some more wonderful plans or regimes.
Start small, and work your way up. It takes 26 days to make or break a habit- isn't that what they say?

I am quite an idealistic person. Wouldn't it be great if...? You know the story.
People should do this
; We should totally do this; if only I did this everyday.
I think that's the habit I need to break. It's a relatively new habit and I just need to get out of it. The practice of writing these amazing (and amazingly long) lists reap no rewards, and only leave me feeling unsuccessful when I don't get anything done.
I am going to start with one or two small goals daily. Things like: today I am going to write a blog entry or I am going to write the introduction for that essay.

It's great to have goals, to work toward something, to aim high but, like everything else in life, there needs to be a balance. With exams awaiting at the ends of this term and NCEA on the horizon, this mindset and work ethic is what I need to reach my major goals and, better yet, feel successful and happy.

So, positive outlook, is it? And small goals. Achievable ones. Consistency. Just doing it.
I think that last one applies especially to me. I am going to be an efficient person who does get the things I intend to done.
Hey, look at that, I just wrote a blog entry.

No comments: