Hola!

This is my blog, my super-fantastic blog, to be exact.
I hope you like reading it, and hearing about my various enthralling escapades.
I'm sure you will just be capitaivated by my highly interesting entries, deep, profound thoughts and opinionated views.
No, don't exit!
I'm not [completely] selfish and vain, I just happen to have a very lame, sarcastic sense of humour.
So. Right.
Have fun.

But not too much fun.

[That doesn't make sense, does it?]

Thursday, March 20, 2008

One Click from Danger- Review

The other day, after cross country training during morning tea, I rushed into the English room and saw the large smartboard alight with a full-screen, youtube video. As I sat down and caught my breath, a young girl was telling a reporter of a horrible, scary experience she had had.
After creating a
myspace account, a stranger began to message her.
Using the information she had ignorantly posted on her profile, the man learnt more and more about the girl, Ellie Budd. She had posted pictures, as well as the name of her school.
Then, when she mentioned a school field trip into town, the man knew exactly where she would be, and when.
He followed her and her friends at the gallery and eventually came up to her.
Ellie then realised that this old man was actually ''popcorn-puppy'', who had said the he was a 26 year old girl on the social network.
This man was actually a paedophile and had
befriended the girls with sinister intentions.
He is one of thousands of people who may be on the
internet right now, using a pseudonym to get closer to innocent children.
I personally don't belong to any of the social networks that are a major fad at the moment.
This is quite a minority from what I have observed, nearly everyone at my school has an account on
Bebo or the like.

I really liked the metaphor they usedin 'One Click from Danger': posting personal information on you profile is like standing in the middle of the street and handing out your details to anyone who walks by.
The
Internet is a dangerous place and the wrong choices can get you in a lot of trouble.
The best way to stay safe is chat and comment to people you actually know and look over your profile
and see if there is anything a predator could use to find you.
The video is a good idea, because children and parents need to be educated about the dangers of the
Internet, which we use everyday.

The lesson to be learned from this video is 'be cautious and sensible', something that applies to all walks of life.

No comments: