Hola!

This is my blog, my super-fantastic blog, to be exact.
I hope you like reading it, and hearing about my various enthralling escapades.
I'm sure you will just be capitaivated by my highly interesting entries, deep, profound thoughts and opinionated views.
No, don't exit!
I'm not [completely] selfish and vain, I just happen to have a very lame, sarcastic sense of humour.
So. Right.
Have fun.

But not too much fun.

[That doesn't make sense, does it?]

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Paul Pots and Expectations

We were sitting in English class today, most of us chatting idly as our teacher clicked her way through a series of links to find a certain video on youtube.
I wouldn't say I watch that much television, and so had never seen, or more importantly, heard, of Paul Potts.
At the end of the video clip, in which he is auditioning for
Britain's Got Talent, and he is building up to his finale, I almost cried.
I had tears in my eyes.
And the thing is, I don't know why, exactly.
He is an incredible singer and, well, the song was moving. I have no ties to the
opera world and didn't understand the language he was singing but it did...move me.
I'm struggling to explain this, as you can see, because I don't fully understand it.
I've watched that same video a number of times now it gets me every time.
They way all the people cheer after the first line and the way their eyes are wide and glassy.
He went on to win the competition, I was told.
Paul Potts is a very talented man. Which brings me to my next point.
Talent. Is it something your born with? How is that a skill if it's just because of the make-up of your genes? Is it a skill you aquire over time? That definition does apply to a lot of situations.
But hearing him sing has made me long for a talent. I want to be amazing at something.
There, I said it. I want a talent, I want to stand out, be special.
It is as I write those words that I realise every body, self-admitting or not, wants to be special and stand out. A lot of people are. Maybe everyone is.
But me.
If you know me, you might say, 'but you're
soooo smart'.
I would beg to differ.
No, despite what you may be thinking I am not fishing for compliments.
Maybe it comes down to the 'there will always be someone better than you' saying.
Though that can and has been disproved throughout history.
Maybe, I am just too competitive for my own good.
Though, I am concerned that this entry makes little sense.
Paul Potts- please spare some of your time to listen to him, or any other opera you can find.
Really listen.

If I really listen now, I can here the consoling, positive, possibly, logical side of myself saying:
'All you can do in try your best, time spent wishing is time wasted'.
Then, the other side, negative and down-talking, replies: 'You have to be the best. Try, try, do your best, then try harder.'

You can't keep comparing yourself to other people, it will drive one mad.
Your attitude defines you.
Positivity. Acceptance.
Learn.

Okay, positive-side, I think I'll listen to you.

No comments: