Hola!

This is my blog, my super-fantastic blog, to be exact.
I hope you like reading it, and hearing about my various enthralling escapades.
I'm sure you will just be capitaivated by my highly interesting entries, deep, profound thoughts and opinionated views.
No, don't exit!
I'm not [completely] selfish and vain, I just happen to have a very lame, sarcastic sense of humour.
So. Right.
Have fun.

But not too much fun.

[That doesn't make sense, does it?]

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Panic!

Panic!

Come on this is a screaming photo op.

Give me envy.

Flash.
Give me malice.

Flash.
Give me attention.

Flash.
TIME TO DANCE

Last night I saw Panic at the Disco live. I also A Kiss Goodbye (a local band), Cobra Starship, and The Academy Is...

What can I say? At risk of sounding utterly cliche, I will describe it with a few meagre words.
Amazing. Fantastic. Superb.
I feel guilty just writing them.

But you don't care about my guilty pleasures do you...? Okay, inside joke with myself.

I sang Happy Birthday to Ryan Ross last night. It wasn't as intimate as I would have liked, seeing as there were over 5000 other people there. But hey, the glass is half full.

I didn't get to meet them this time, sadly, but I could tell they were very nice. They talked to people in the crowd, responded to their signs, and even called them cute. They are just so adorable.
Yes, I am a tweeby tween.

Anyway, Bobbie came around a six o'clock on the evening of Saturday August 30th AD2008. Mum had just cooked a meal of vegetarian sausage rolls and rice risotto, but I couldn't eat much. I decided to wear jeans, chucks, and my Beatles shirt. Screw the summer dress and boots, I looked like more of an idiot than usual. I wore a big zip-up hoodie, and boy, am I glad, because it was freezing.

We drove down in the Jag, which, for your information, costs no more than any regular car, and is more fuel-economical than our old car. We got there at about 20 to seven to find that the doors had already been opened. We hopped in line, and were in the door pretty soon. It was practically dark ,and freezing, so, personally, I'm glad we didn't loiter for ages.

Oh, as to the question about my camera. My mother informed me that I was not allowed to take my camera in, but, being the rebel I am, I just took it right on in anyway. They didn't even scan us. They did at My Chem, I swear! So, not long after I felt like an idiot for worrying about my camera so much, and being told that it costs freaking $4.70 for half a cup of water, we were sitting in our seats, marvelling at the fact that we were really there.
This was it
.

We waved at Frankie, Bobbie and Heliena in the crowd, and generally got more excited. They were playing random songs, like Rhianna, or whatever, and even rap. The lights dimmed and the music was cut, and on walked the first band, A Kiss Goodbye. We didn't even know they were going to play, but I am not one to complain for more entertainment for my buck. I had never heard of them, and they did look pretty young, but they weren't bad.

Lights on again. More weird, unsuitable music. Bobbie freaking out about some guy in a side-ways cap. Then, Gab striding on to the stage, in purple skinny jeans. They opened with a strong performance of The City is at War, then had a wee chat with us. They were in a car accident, and Vicky T. hurt her arm (don't you fret, she still rocked that key-tar). Ryland then said something about Piha Beach Rescue, everybody screamed, and they played another song.
Their set was amazing. All their songs are great to scream to, and great to to dance to. Plus the fact that they are amazing performers doesn't hurt.
I loved it when they played The Church of Hot Addiction.
Oh, William Beckett came out to sing his part on Bring It, and I must say, it was pretty cool.
Before the lights came on once more, Gabe informed us that he would 'see us next year'.
As Holly would put it, hell to the yes.

The Academy Is... was the next band to play (yes the '...' is part of their name). I had never really liked them before I knew I would be seeing them. That is to say, I had heard their singles, shrugged my shoulders, and never thought twice about them. I borrowed their second album, Santi, from a friend, and now I am hooked. They were also good as performers, but I preferred Cobra to them, though that may because I knew more songs of theirs.
Also, William (the lead singer) lifted his shirt up in our direction, and we got to see his weird, girl-esque stomach. It was...well, weird. Me and Bobbie just looked at one another, then cracked up laughing.

The next time the lights came on, these dudes started climbing on to the light-rigging things. It was a tad strange, but entertaining. Anticipation and excitement was fizzling in the air. The air was oddly smoky.
Then
lights went on behind the black curtain. We could see a colourful piano, and a wrack of guitars.
Time to Panic.

They started with We're So Starving, which led right into Nine in the Afternoon.
What can I say? It was so cool.
Ryan was on the side closest to us, looking delicate and fragile. Brenden, in a wasitcoat, had a great time on the mike a g-tar. John rambled on, in a nice way, and Spencer didn't say much, though he did say something to make Brenden laugh, to a point where he couldn't finish a sentence. Together, they put on a fantastic show.
Northern Downpour was beautiful. I quite liked Folkin' Around.
Sometimes it felt like we were sitting in at a jam-session, especially on the mellow songs.
It was hard trying to dance around to some of their new stuff, but not all music has to be mosh-compatible to be good. I like the material from their first album better, and those songs were, as Bobbie put it, epic.

Brenden screamed 'I love you!', and then they finished with Mad as Rabbits.
It was a terrific concert, and I had a terrific time. I went through a small bout of post-concert depression, but that's understandable.
We got some good photos and videos. They were scanning the crowd with a laser thing, so I think we can still say that we snuck a camera in.

Yeah. So that was it. Oh, one last thing, as soon as we arrived at the arena, a midget (or dwarf, whatever is P.C.) in leather and a emo haircut walked past, being filmed. Cool, huh?

No comments: