Hola!

This is my blog, my super-fantastic blog, to be exact.
I hope you like reading it, and hearing about my various enthralling escapades.
I'm sure you will just be capitaivated by my highly interesting entries, deep, profound thoughts and opinionated views.
No, don't exit!
I'm not [completely] selfish and vain, I just happen to have a very lame, sarcastic sense of humour.
So. Right.
Have fun.

But not too much fun.

[That doesn't make sense, does it?]

Monday, June 2, 2008

Babysitting

Last weekend was very productive. On Saturday night, at 7 o'clock, I had my first proper babysitting job. For the last two months or so I have been advertising in the district's local magazine, as well in the two local primary school newsletters.
I was a little nervous before the job. I was also quite scared. What if they were weirdos, or murderers? What if the place was burgled? What if the call was coming from inside the house?
But everything turned out fine, great, in fact.

I arrived a little early, and was shown around their house. It was a very nice house; high ceilings, good views, tasteful furniture, and a huge T.V.. The little kids were named Sophie and Kaio, and they were super- cool and fun. It was a tad awkward at first, sitting on the couch watching Dunsten Checks In, on Disney. Soon enough, though, we began asking one another questions, and they started telling me about all the other babysitters the had had. After the movie we played hide and seek. It was very enjoyable for them and me.

There are a few things about babysitting that really appeal to me. The prospect of growing up frightens me a fair bit, so it's such a relief to be able to forget that for a while, and indulge yourself. You can forget about exams or homework, or the fact that you don't know what you want to be when you grow up, and you're nearly half way to thirty. It's a form of temporary escape. I have a good life, and I am very fortunate, but it's pleasant to just remove yourself from that once and a while, you know? You go into another family's home, mind their children; it doesn't necessarily make you appreciate your home more, exactly, but, I don't know how to explain it...it is a break. Things can get rather chaotic around our house, so the quiet and family and household differences can be refreshing.
Also, I don't have the time to work a proper part-time job. It requires a lot of commitment and a many hours. I used to work at Wendy's ice cream parlour; the pay wasn't spectacular, the hours were long and the work was demanding. I have quite a few extra-curricular activities, so the versatile hours of babysitting are perfect for me. It also gives me a couple of quiet hours to study or complete homework, because once the kids are in bed, you don't have much else you can do.
I know it was only my first 'stranger' babysitting job, but I have babysat my little brother many a time, and I believe what I have stated above applies.

So, we watched MTV'S Cribs together, and they told me all about their cousins who had 20 metre indoor pools and a quad-bike each. I took them up to bed at half-nine, but we ended up talking for about 20 minutes. Kaio, 6, dropped off, but me and Sophie, 8, kept talking. That's another thing about looking after children, I find their views on life fascinating, and often adorable. For an 8 year old, she was pretty up to date with pop culture. Though she did have some original ideas on the whole 'emo' thing.
I ended up just dozing on the floor under a blanket until I heard the parent's car in the drive.
I had such a great night. I really, really enjoyed it. Plus I got $35, which isn't taxed.

I had another job on Monday, for just one hour in the afternoon. I met one young boy, Dylan, who has a mild case of autism, but is so cute. He wouldn't come out of his room for he first half an hour, but when I promised not to look at him and he came out to watch the Barbie movie on T.V., he warmed up and was a lovely young lad. He has never been looked after by a stranger before, so there's a strong possibility that I'll become a regular.

The only bad thing about this job is my mum had to drop me off and pick me up, which must be slightly irritating at 11.30 at night.
And I guess that is that, another rather lengthy blog entry. If you haven't given up or passed out from boredom, and have managed to get through the whole thing; well done. Though I would hope that you have better things to do.

No comments: