Hola!

This is my blog, my super-fantastic blog, to be exact.
I hope you like reading it, and hearing about my various enthralling escapades.
I'm sure you will just be capitaivated by my highly interesting entries, deep, profound thoughts and opinionated views.
No, don't exit!
I'm not [completely] selfish and vain, I just happen to have a very lame, sarcastic sense of humour.
So. Right.
Have fun.

But not too much fun.

[That doesn't make sense, does it?]

Thursday, June 12, 2008

I have a dream

I have a dream. This is no average, materialistic dream; no. This is a dream, a vision, for the future of our town, a hope for our involvement in the solution to climate change and pollution. I am no expert on the subject, but I understand the fundamentals. We either have to stop producing so much carbon, or implement a method to match our large carbon footprint.
There is a sustainable solution readily available to us. A perfect solution. Perfect because nature created it; trees.

We all know the basics of photosynthesis; leaves absorb CO
2 and excrete oxygen as a by-product. Trees have been and are being cut down for agriculture and housing in a mass extinction. 90% of the Amazon Rainforest has been cut down, all done in the last half-century. There have been negative and severe results due to this in-balance of Carbon. There is more Carbon in the atmosphere, which traps the heat from the sun inside, somewhat like a greenhouse. The polar ice caps are melting and sea levels are rising. It's not too late to clean up the mess we have created.
This is what I want to do, this is what I want to give back to Earth.

Driving down the motorway you will see acres upon acres of cleared land on either side of you. No one wants to live there, and most people would prefer to live the farm life far removed from the noise of incessant traffic. If you have driven down there recently, you will see the area has been zoned industrial. That means that somewhere in the near future, factories will be sitting there, blocking the horizon. What I want to do, is plant trees.

I want to fund raise the money to buy a decent size block of land around that area. I want to fund raise money to buy trees, some native, some not, and involve the community in planting these trees. Create a wood, a forest, a small-scale solution to one of world's largest and pressing problems. I want to nurture them, and just let them grow. In a few decades time those trees will be strong, and we would have helped the world. A Carbon processing plant more efficient than any factory.

Then, in a perfect world, more people would get behind the cause. That once rural area would not be turned into a factory belt, but rather into a majestic stretch of trees and forestry.
Even though this world is not perfect, I think this could happen. I would love to initiate a program such as this. Make the world take notice; inspire people, countries even, to take part,

Yes, I would like very much to turn this dream to reality. I fantasize about nurturing it, and seeing it grow into notable project on the environmental front.
I would love to make a positive difference.

Though for now I will just have to bide my time, and plant a few trees myself. I encourage you to do the same. This month, just go to the plant store and buy a small tree or seedling. Plant it in your garden, and watch it grow- you'll feel all the more better for it, and so will the world.

Go on, do the world a favour, it's done everything for you.

No comments: