Hola!

This is my blog, my super-fantastic blog, to be exact.
I hope you like reading it, and hearing about my various enthralling escapades.
I'm sure you will just be capitaivated by my highly interesting entries, deep, profound thoughts and opinionated views.
No, don't exit!
I'm not [completely] selfish and vain, I just happen to have a very lame, sarcastic sense of humour.
So. Right.
Have fun.

But not too much fun.

[That doesn't make sense, does it?]

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A Visit from the PM

Today, being Wednesday the 4th of June AD 2008, was a very interesting and successful day.
The Prime Minister of our country came to our school. That was truly a once in a life time opportunity.
When I was younger, I used to say that I was going to be the Prime Minister. 'Leader of a country' just seemed like a great career. Oh, and it definitely is, but there's a large amount of time and work involved; an entire life time dedicated to it, in fact. Plus, I've never taken an interest in politics. There are many variables. Your future lies in the hands of public opinion. One rumour, true or false or exaggerated, can ruin your career. It can be a rather, for lack of a better term, sleazy and seedy path at times. Corruption and conspiracies; everyone having a say on everything you do. Don't get me wrong, it sounds like a fascinating career. I mean travel, credibility, the power of influence, not to mention all the people you would meet and experiences you would have.
Anyway, I don't really know where I was going with that, so instead, I'll tell you what happened.
For the most part, the people reading this blog were probably present at the assembly, but I'm still going to tell you all about it.

After a wait of 20 minutes in the auditorium, where one person saying Sshhh would make the entire crowd go silent in a matter of seconds, Helen Clark made her way down the steps to the stage. Following some formalities, she took the podium, and told us how she had enjoyed the tour of the school. Truthfully, even though I was listening avidly, I can't remember exactly what she said at that stage of her speech. However, the talk was mostly comprised of questions and answers, and I do remember those.
The first question that was asked was, Does it ever get boring in parliament?
Not unintelligent, but probably not something I would have asked.
Her answer to that enquiry, like all others, was skillfully diplomatic.
She is an exemplary public speaker. She held attention, was relaxed, clear, and could commendably answer all the questions asked of her.
I asked her a question, which was, What did you study at university?
Her answer was interesting to me. She studied History, English, and German. In her second year she was was introduced to Political Studies, from which she got her Masters.
She didn't behave or speak in a manner that made you feel inferior. She didn't even say to pay attention in school or anything like that.
I learnt that she suffered a collapsed lung when she was six years old, as a result of double pneoumnia. The most interesting person that she has ever met, she said, was Nelson Mandela. She shared some wisdom with us that he had imparted on her, To forgive, but not forget
I hadn't actually realised she was the first ever women elected Prime Minister of our country, which is a rather impressive feat.

I don't know much about politics, but Mrs. Clark came across as a very good, capable, intelligent leader. Running a country must be a hard task. She doesn't get the full credit if something happens in parliament, such as a new law being passed, that is seen as the right choice, but if something is going wrong, as she is the figure head, she will take the immediate blame.
I have a lot of respect towards our Prime Minister.
We were very lucky to have the opportunity we did.

No comments: