Hola!

This is my blog, my super-fantastic blog, to be exact.
I hope you like reading it, and hearing about my various enthralling escapades.
I'm sure you will just be capitaivated by my highly interesting entries, deep, profound thoughts and opinionated views.
No, don't exit!
I'm not [completely] selfish and vain, I just happen to have a very lame, sarcastic sense of humour.
So. Right.
Have fun.

But not too much fun.

[That doesn't make sense, does it?]

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

When I grow up

I don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I have a few ideas, but that's it. I'm in between wanting to be everything and just wanting to stay a kid. But I'm going to have to grow up, and there's nothing I can do about it. In this entry I want to explore two of my potential careers. I'm not looking to decided anything yet, and I know I have a lot of time, but I want to think about it. I'm excited about the future, but also scared as hell. Thank goodness we have three more years of school to go.
Don't hurt me for saying that.

Anyhow, career path number 1: a surgeon
So I stay in school till I'm 18, and then the next year I go to medical school. 6 years for a doctorate in medicine. A few more years for surgery and apprenticeships. I'm about 27 now, and I haven't left school yet. I have a massive student loan. But I love my job, and soon the nice salary is paying off my debt. Ten years gone. I'm a credited surgeon. I move to the U.S. and start work there. Another decade goes by. I am renowned in medical circles and am head of department. I've held a heart in my hands. I've saved lives. I've been involved in deaths. I've seen tragedy and trauma. I retire, and become a professor at a university. I write a few books; see my name in print.

There are many positives things about a life of a surgeon. For a long time I was sure I wanted to bee. A cardio surgeon, that is. But now I've really started thinking about it, I've been asking myself questions. Do I really want to spend all that time in school? I don't have a clue to what the career is really like. What if I spend all that time in school then don't even like it? What if I'm thirty with no job and a huge loan?
It does offer a lot, but there are draw backs. I know there is no perfect job, but is this one for me?

Option number 2: high school teacher
I've always wondered why people become teachers. In that career you never leave school. Lately, though, I've been thinking maybe it wouldn't be to bad. A career of giving new generations knowledge. Having a position to influence their lives and views. Could I stand people who didn't try, though? Would I be to strict, and push them to hard? And, what would I do to those people who chose to smoke in the corner of the field, or just not do their work?

There is nothing wrong with being a teacher. It's a great career. I could be the teacher that made people like school, whose classes kids looked forward to. But would it be enough? I've always aimed high, and is that high enough? I know you get good holidays, but seeing all the young people with their whole lives ahead, would I regret my decision?

Stay tuned to find out about my other potential futures. But for now I am going to stay in school, keep trying hard, and resist a life of crime.
Ciao.

No comments: